When The Philadelphia Orchestra emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy in July 2012, the ensemble became a canary fluttering back out of a deep dark mine. Philadelphia’s path forward will be closely watched, and not only because music lovers at home and around the world have such a stake in this beloved institution. In both its difficulties and its stategies for confronting and transcending them, The Philadelphia Orchestra strikes a resonant chord with other American orchestras, large and small.
This podcast was developed from our June 2012 behind-the-scenes discussion.
Chapter Ten – Looking Ahead, in Philadelphia and Beyond
- Joseph Conyers, Assistant Principal Bass, The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Gustavo Dudamel, Music Director, Los Angeles Philharmonic
- Alan Gilbert, Music Director, New York Philharmonic
- Gary Hanson, Executive Director, The Cleveland Orchestra
- Yannick Nézet-Séguin, Music Director, The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Jeremy Rothman, Vice President for Artistic Planning, The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Deborah Rutter, President, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- Afa Sadykhly-Dworkin, Vice President of Programming and Artistic Director, Sphinx Organization
- Michael Tilson Thomas, Music Director, San Francisco Symphony
- Stanford Thompson, CEO, Play on Philly
- Allison Vulgamore, President and CEO, Philadelphia Orchestra Association
This podcast was written and narrated by Steven Winn.
For more podcasts, visit our Multimedia page.