In a culture that exalts the individual, creativity is thought of first and foremost as the distinctive stamp of a personality, the outpouring of a specific genius or talent. But organizations can and must be creative, too, if they hope to endure and thrive. In the face of financial woes, aging audiences, dwindling arts education and the momentum of an increasingly digital universe, orchestras are challenged as never before to find creative ways of making music and making it matter to their communities.
This podcast was developed from our public forum in March 2012, Talking About Creativity and a “Conducting Business” podcast by New York radio station WQXR.
Chapter Six – The Creative Challenge, Off the Stage
Play | Download | Transcript
- John Adams, Composer
- Brent Assink, Executive Director, San Francisco Symphony
- Mason Bates, Composer
- Margo Drakos, Co-founder, Instant Encore
- Christopher Pinelo, VP of Communications, The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
- Ed Sanders, Group Marketing Manager of the Creative Lab, Google
- John Shafer, host of “Soundcheck” and “New Sounds” on WNYC radio
- Michael Tilson Thomas, Music Director, San Francisco Symphony
This podcast was written and narrated by Steven Winn.
For more podcasts, visit our Multimedia page.